Wednesday, February 5, 2014

SlabMat - The Essential Tool for Porcelain Flower Making

Here’s the skinny on SlabMat: I couldn’t make porcelain flowers without it.
SlabMat was invented by my clever friend Pam Herring.  It is a paper based, smooth surfaced mat to roll clay slabs out with. I place my clay between 2 mats and roll it out using my North Star Slab Roller. It works with a rolling pin as well. The wonderful features about SlabMat are that your clay surface is perfectly smooth, saving clean up time, the clay doesn’t stick to it, and you can roll the clay out very thin. Perfect for delicate hand building. I also use it as a nonstick hand building surface. SlabMat is available at all the major ceramic suppliers but please visit Pam’s website: www.slabmat.com for a complete list of retailers.

I have included a photo essay below of cutting out an intricate orchid petal using SlabMat and the rubber exercise band I mentioned in my previous post.

Pam just told me yesterday that she has 2 new tools coming out soon to the SlabMat Tool line.  I’ll keep you posted. Thank you for reading and please post a comment when you try these techniques or have questions.  Have a great day, but everyday in the studio is a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment